“O Lord, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! Many are saying of me, God will not deliver him.”
How many times have we had the attitude of “Doom, Dispair, and Agony on Me?” Sometimes in life things just don’t go the way they should. Sometimes circumstances change, people change, jobs change, finances change, etc. And as much as we would like to grab hold of the wheel and take control, we can’t. The truth is, even God gives people freedom of choice in their lives so that they can either make good or bad decisions. It’s up to them.
Many of us have had conversations just like David in this Psalm, saying there is so much against him. David even remarks that everyone around him has even given up on hope that God would deliver him. How many of you have said “there is just to much against me?” How many of you have said “even God is not going to deliever me?” Well I want to offer some hope today through the rest of Psalm 3.
“But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. Arise O Lord! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. From the Lord comes deliverence. May your blessing be on your people”
There are so many things I love about that…
1. He is my shield – A shield is for protection. I know that through everything, God will protect me.
2. He lifts my head – Have you ever been so sick, tired, or weary that you couldn’t even hold your head up. Christ is there to hold you and give you the strength you need to make it through.
3. He hears my cry – I don’t know about you, but I’ve shed my share of tears. I’ve shed tears no one has even seen and will never know about. But the great thing is that God sees those tears and hears my cry and most importantly, He will answer.
4. He gives me rest – I’ve also had my share of restless nights. Nights that my mind and body just would not settle to the point where it would not give me rest. However through Gods grace, He has given me rest. And not only has He given me rest, but He allows me to wake fresh and new every morning, not matter what my situation may be.
5. He will deliver me – I take courage and do not fear because I know the battle is not mine, it is the Lords. He is out there fighting for me. The Lord is out there smashing the jaw and breaking the teeth of the enemy. That’s awesome. He is fighting on my behalf, and I take courage in knowing that. I will see delieverence.
6. God brings blessing – And finally, God brings blessings to His people. God’s blessings really does rest on His people. I am His, and I am blessed.
So take heart today. Sure, Gloom, Dispair, and Agony may be there. You may be wearing it like a cheap sweater. It’s uncomfortable, it itches, and it’s giving you a rash, but take heart in knowing that it is only temporary.
I want to leave you with one last scripture that will help carry you through the journey…
“If the Lord delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand.”